Steam Generator Equipment
Legalization, Regulations, Obligations, and Requirements
Regulations and User Obligations
It is important to note that regulations and obligations may vary depending on the specific context, and it is the responsibility of users to be informed and comply with the current regulations in their geographical area and industry sector.
What is a pressure equipment?
A steam generator is a pressure equipment The Pressure Equipment Regulation (REP) and its complementary technical instructions approved by Royal Decree (RD) 2060/2008, of December 12, clearly establish, among other provisions, the obligations that affect the owners of facilities and pressure equipment. . The aforementioned Regulation establishes the requirements for installation, commissioning, periodic inspections, repairs, and modifications of equipment with a maximum allowable pressure exceeding 0.5 bar, which are understood to include appliances, pressure equipment, piping assemblies, and simple or transportable pressure vessels.
- Know and apply the manufacturer’s instructions regarding use, safety measures, and maintenance.
- Not to put the installation into service or prevent the operation of pressure equipment if the requirements of the Regulation are not met.
- Use the pressure equipment within its intended operating limits as specified by the manufacturer and take it out of service if it no longer meets the necessary safety requirements.
- Perform maintenance on the installations, pressure equipment, safety accessories, and control devices according to the operating conditions and manufacturer’s instructions, conducting inspections at least once a year.
- Arrange for the required periodic inspections to be carried out.
- Maintain an up-to-date register of pressure equipment belonging to categories I to IV, according to RD 769/1999 of May 7.
- Arrange for necessary repairs.
- Report any accidents that occur in accordance with Article 14 of the Regulation.
What documentation should the user have and always accompany the steam equipment or installation?
- Manufacturer’s instructions: Issued by the manufacturer.
- Declaration of conformity: Issued by the manufacturer.
- Installation certificate: Issued by the installer if different from the manufacturer.
- Installation project: It is always necessary if the result of multiplying the maximum working pressure (Pm) measured in Bar by the volume (V) measured in liters of all equipment in the permanently connected installation, excluding pipelines, exceeds 25,000. It must be prepared by the qualified installation company, such as GICONMES IBERICA, S.L., with EIP-2 qualification.
- Minutes of the last periodic inspection: Issued by the inspector.
- Certificates of repairs or modifications: Issued by the party carrying out the work.
- Any other documentation required by the Complementary Technical Instruction (ITC) of the mentioned Regulation..
How are the equipment of an installation classified according to the Pressure Equipment Regulation (REP)?
The essential safety requirements for the marketing of Pressure Equipment are established by RD 709/2015, of July 24th, framed in its Article 4; point 1.2 and represented in Table 5 of Annex II. They must be classified according to the categories indicated in Article 9 of RD 769/1999 (BOE 31/05/1999), which transposed Directive 97/23/EC, repealed since July 19, 2016, by Article 50 of Directive 2014/68/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council, of May 15, 2014, on the harmonization of the laws of the Member States regarding the marketing of pressure equipment
The steam generators manufactured by GICONMES IBERICA, S.L. fall into Group 2, with the fluids they contain considered non-hazardous (non-flammable, non-toxic, non-explosive, non-oxidizing) in terms of their hazardousness, according to the aforementioned Directive 2014/68/EU and in accordance with its Article 4; Annex II.
The classification of pressure equipment that generates steam according to Table 5 of Annex II of RD 709/2015 is as follows:
- Category I: Equipment with PxV < 50
- Category II: Equipment with PxV between 50 and 199
- Category III: Equipment with PxV between 200 and 2,999
- Category IV: Equipment with PxV ≥ 3,000
Periodic inspections to be carried out on Pressure Equipment and who should perform them
In all equipment, regardless of their Category, periodic tests and inspections will be conducted to assess their technical characteristics and safety conditions, ensuring their proper functioning
will be performed by:
- Manufacturer, installer, or maintainer authorized with EIP-2 category Room of GICONMES IBERICA. Accreditation No. R002ZA20/61246.
- Authorized Inspection Bodies (AIB).
What tests to perform and when?
There are three MANDATORY inspection levels to be performed for Categories I – II – III and IV, depending on the time elapsed since their commissioning.
Level A: The inspection can be performed while the equipment is in service and will be carried out by the manufacturer, installer, or maintainer authorized with EIP-2 category., The annual inspection includes checking:
- Visual inspection of pressure-exposed parts.
- Safety accessories.
Level B: The inspection must be carried out while the equipment is out of service and will be conducted by an Authorized Inspection Body (OCA),every THREE (3) years,checking:
- Level A inspections completed.
- Thickness of pressure vessels.
- Safety components.
- Others as determined by the technical criteria of the Authorized Inspection Body (OCA).
Level C:The inspection must be carried out while the equipment is out of service and will be conducted by an Authorized Inspection Body (OCA),every SIX (6) years, checking:
- Level B inspections completed.
- Hydrostatic test.
Requirements for the quality of water in steam boilers
The feedwater is crucial for the lifespan and operation of a steam generator.
Natural waters contain the following impurities:
- Dissolved gases (carbon dioxide, oxygen, etc.).
- Mineral compounds (calcium salts, magnesium salts, silica, and sodium).
- Inorganic particles in suspension.
- Organic substances on certain occasions.
What should I do if the legalization or inspections of my equipment do not comply with the required regulations?
Here you will find informative articles about steam technology, its application in industry, and different types of related equipment, as well as the latest trends and developments in this field.